Cricket Pavilion

The first mention of a School cricket team is in the 1924 Shawnigan Lake School Magazine. The School teams played other schools, such as Brentwood College School and other independent schools in Victoria and Saanich. They also played community cricket clubs, such as Cowichan, Chemainus, and Victoria. When playing these clubs, the School team was often supplemented with two or three adult players, including the Headmaster, CW Lonsdale, Myles Ellissen, E.D.W. Levien, & J.Y. Copeman. Overall, interest in playing cricket was high, with the School fielding a 1st XI, 2nd XI, and, occasionally, a 3rd XI, plus a Colts XI. 
In 1931, Mr. Charles H. Henniker, whose son attended the School, began discussions with the Headmaster about building a cricket pavilion on campus “appropriate to the dignity of the School and the beauty of the playing field.” Admittedly, the early 1930s was “a bad time for special appeals,” but because lumber was extremely cheap, Henniker felt that the project would be affordable. He asked every parent to make a contribution, no matter how small, calling it an “All Parents” gift. By 1932, the Cricket Pavilion Fund held $345. By the spring of 1934, the building was at a stage where it could be used. The above photo depicts it in its glory days as a backdrop to the hugely popular game in its day. 

Cricket remained popular for several decades, and in 1965 the School team toured in England. But by the early 1970s popularity waned and there were not enough other teams to make competition interesting. The last mention of a team is in the 1971-72 Yearbook.

For several decades the pavilion was used only to store track and field equipment, or for a quick team huddle before a rugby game. Neglected, it became quite dilapidated until June 2000 when the building was moved to its present location just north of the Shaw Science Centre. It has been completely refurbished and now serves as the centre of Maintenance operations.

The information presented in this write-up is based on current information available in the School's Archives and consultation with key people who have some relevant connection to this "object." If you have further information about this "object" that you would like to contribute, please contact the School’s Advancement Office at alumni@shawnigan.ca.
Back
Share:
We acknowledge with respect the Coast Salish Peoples on whose traditional lands and waterways we live, learn and play. We are grateful for the opportunity to share in this beautiful region, and we aspire to healthy and respectful relationships with those who have lived on and cared for these lands for millennia.